Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT)
This four (4) year Bachelor of Science (BS) degree program aims at producing highly competent medical laboratory professionals. MLT graduates are trained in lab diagnosis of diseases. They are not only able to plan, conduct and interpret diagnostic tests using modern increasingly automatic lab equipment but are also capable of manually conducting these tests in the absence of automatic equipment.
We expect our graduates to be well versed in both the theoretical as well as practical aspects of technologies that are commonly employed in a medical laboratory. Our curriculum flows from general courses related to biology to more specialized ones covering major areas of medical lab technology such as microbiology, hematology, biochemistry and histopathology. This program also includes courses for improving critical thinking and communication skills.
MLT is a rigorous degree program designed to equip students with a thorough understanding of a wide array of modern diagnostic techniques that are used in clinical settings. Student learning occurs in classroom as well as in state-of-the-art laboratories. We expect our graduates to be knowledgeable about how different technologies are used for detecting human conditions, as well as outstanding professionals who possess excellent ethical values.
Specifically, the program sets out to achieve the following goals:
- To enable students to follow verbal and written instructions and health care policies and guidelines related to MLT.
- To train students in biosafety measures and sensitize them to adhere to guidelines.
- To develop skills of collection, transportation, processing, analysis and preservation of biological specimens in graduates.
- To train students to operate and calibrate laboratory equipment.
- To make students learn essential concepts and procedures of quality control in medical lab practice.
- To develop communication and interpersonal skills in students.
- To train students in bioethics and make them aware of their duties towards patients, other health care professionals, and community.
At least 45% marks in F.Sc. Pre-medical or equivalent qualification.